Information for Project Providers
The Nuffield Research Placements programme can only run with your help. Project providers support students by offering 4 to 6 week placements. Providers assign a mentor to students to help induct them into their organisation but students are expected to work independently with supervision (depending upon the work environment and particular hazards).
Many organisation find the programme beneficial in enabling faster progress on research and other goals and in carrying out projects which might otherwise have been shelved due to lack of personnel.
Student placements also benefit project providers by:
- Inspiring local students to move on to higher education in the region, increasing the number of local students.
- Providing assistance with research projects which might not be possible otherwise.
- As a recruitment opportunity. Providing placements helps address the shortfall in the local skilled workforce and gives you an opportunity to showcase your company to potential future employees.
- Offers an ideal opportunity to develop your staff through managing and mentoring students on placement.
- Increases your social community profile and corporate image.
- Students on placement can be great for staff moral providing fresh ideas, an injection of enthusiasm and the opportunity to look at job roles in a new light.
In addition to this students benefit by:
- Gaining valuable experience and the opportunity to work fairly autonomously on real industry projects.
- Boosting confidence in their chosen field of study.
- Great future prospects offered by obtaining nationally recognised accreditation in the Nuffield Research Placements and British Science Association CREST Award schemes.